Outside of the Official World, outside of the United Nations, there are essentially two different national forces:
- secession of territories; and
- secession of individuals, families, groups or organisations.
Once upon a time, I used to distinguish macronations (Fourth World) from micronations (Fifth and Sixth Worlds), because of the differences in the size of the territorial claims. Now I realise that size matters very little, and the Fourth World can still include secessionist movements as small as a town.
Territorial size really doesn’t matter, as secessionist movements usually don’t have full control of much territory to begin with. Most secessionist movements, in other words, are not de facto states, or states with limited recognition. What really matters is the size of the alternative nationalist groups, i.e. the number of active and supportive nationalists. The larger the number of active supporters, and the more influential they are or shall become.
Below follows a new definition of alternative national.
Territorial break-away from, or integration into existing states, regions, provinces or cities of independence movements. Includes self-determination or secessionist groups, indigenous (more or less recognised) tribes, nations, and bands, as well as ‘city-states’ that act like they are more than cities.
- Dominion of British West Florida (member MPR)
- Imperium of DeWaCo Estates (member MPR)
- League of Indian Nations of North America (member MS, MPR, ISPSP)
- Republic of Kabinda (member MPR, OEAS, UNPO)
- Republic of Texas (member MPR)
Nations that have originated as, or evolved into legitimate, and/or complex entities that resemble real nations and states. Includes strong social identity or irredentist groups.
- Principado do Ilhéu da Pontinha (member MS, MPR)
- Principato d’Oriente (member MS, MPR, 5WHO)
- Principato di Valldemosa (member MS, MPR, UMMOA)
- Sovereign Order of St. John of Jerusalem – Knights of Malta (member MS, MPR)
- United Micronations Multi-Oceanic Archipelago (member MS, MPR, 5WHO, LN, CNRS, FIBCO, OEAS, ISPSP)
Individual, family, group or organisation break-away from existing states to form new nations.
- Baltic Principality (member MPR, UMMOA)
- Dharmaland (member MPR, UMMOA)
- Duchy of Carniola (member MPR, UMMOA)
- Kingdom of Amethonia (member MPR, UMMOA)
- Libera Repubblica di Alcatraz (member MPR, UMMOA)
- Mnoer Empire (member MPR, UMMOA)
- Oasi Città Aperta (member MPR, UMMOA)
- Pirate Nation (member MPR, UMMOA)
- Promolands (member SU, MPR, UMMOA)
- Royal Kingdom of Eesha (member MPR, UMMOA)
- Sovereign Nations Oasis (member MPR, UMMOA)